Monday, November 25, 2013

Whats been going on

Well  has been over a month since I have posted.  The gear up for Nova burnt me out a little on painting, so I took some time off from behind the brush.  The release of the Space Marine codex has kept me occupied, giving me a nice change of pace from my Relictor (Space Wolf) army.  I decided that after 5+ years of faithful service the 4 units of Relictors that formed the staple of my army lists were going to be retired for a bit in reward for there long faithful service to the Emporer.  I love the conversions in the units and standing along side the Grey Knight force in the display case they look awesome together.  I had developed the 4th companys background and I started to paint up a unit of Devistator Centurions, as part of the new company, but I just wasnt excited about painting them.   I thought a break from painting would be good then I would get back to it after a couple of weeks. I came back to the unit and again just wasn't motivated to paint them.  I wasn't happy with they way they were painting up.  Here they just have the base coat done.

In process shot, can't make it out but the armarature has been painted similiar to the Grey Knight DreadKnight I did for Nova


  For those of you who followed the "Road to Nova" blog the majority of the items I painted were Grey Knights, which I was very happy with the way they turned out.  I was also pleased with getting "Tabletop Ideal" for my painting score at Nova.  I have gotten a few side projects completed in the last weeks.  I scratch built a preditor tank out of only items found in a bitz box.  It turned out pretty cool, i had to custom shape some pieces, mainly the tread since that was the hardest thing to find.  The build is only missing the front headlights from the kit.  I also magnetized the sponsons and with luck I will be getting some pieces of extra armor to add to the kit.  I took some time to work up some objective markers, mainly just playing around with different base colors and washes to see which one I liked better.


 
 
I decided to try my hand at wet blending a marine, rather than just edge highlighting the base armor color.  I dug through the new Space Marine codex and licked the background for the Exceorsists.  I wanted to do a bright color for the wet blending instead of a darker color.  With the last couple of armies I painted I have done 1 or 2 test models to work out the colors and highlights.  This time I jumped into the deep end and painted up a Librarian I had converted up. I haven't decicded if I am going to edge highlight his armor or not.  For basing I was thinking about a sandy ruins, to make the red pop.
 


 
I love the way the Librarian turned out, I was even thinking of doing an allied attachement to my Relictors since Excersists have a lot of scouts... So I started working on a scout only to read the forgeworld update.... the Mantis Warriors getting Divination, move through cover, Furious Assualt (from cover) and hammer of wrath for infantry.  Damn I guess I have to try this with green now...



No comments:

Post a Comment