Wednesday, November 27, 2013

DABOYZ Meta and Calvins Journey

 

Well another great GT in the books! This past weekend saw jacky and I heading over to Daboyz GT in rotchester, and the venue was amazing. A sold out lodge with deer heads on the wall and stuffed bears in the entryway made it the perfect manly location for a weekend of 40k! Here's what I was running,

Ghaz-225
Warboss w/bike, power claw, pole-130.   
                           
3 meganobz-120
Bwagon w/rolla-110
10 grotz-40
20 orks-120
14 boys+nob w/big choppa-105        

3 deffcoptas w/bigbommb-150

Aegis-50
3 lobba w/3 runts-84
3 lobba w/3 runts-84
Bwagon w/rolla-110.           

Lord w/axe of blind fury, jugg, khorne mark, melta bomb, aura of dark glory-165
15 cultist-70
4 chaos spawn w/nurgle mark-144.                         
Laspred-140.                  

Mission 1

Primary: kill points
Secondary: 4 objectives 

     Day 1 of gaming saw me paired up with Nathan and his space wolf army on a nice mountain table providing alot of LOS blocking terrain. The lobbas hiding behind the hills took a heavy tally early on the long fang squads, and with my AV 14 hulls pointed into the remaining fire I was able to make an aggressive push towards his lines, the biggest threat in the game came from 4 thunderwolf pushing up one flank towards my vulnerable troops and lobbas, the khorne lord was the first to try his hand at slowing them down, beating the character in a challenge but getting ripped down in the subsequent turn, ghazghkull then stepped in alone to show em how it was done, his str 10 claw made short work of them slaying two more and forcing the remaining to flee where Ghaz followed up and charged later to make sure they wouldn't be coming back! Turn 6 saw the wolves surrounded and the game ended with 5 wolves fighting to end in their deployment zone.

End score 32/33pts

Game 2

Primary: Relic
Secondary: emperors will

Game 2 saw me squared off with my favorite opponent Dennis Cote, Dennis and I had played each other last year at Daboyz and I was glad to be able to get another fun game in with him and his amazingly converted ork army.
I won the roll to have Dennis go first and his battlewagon carrying Ghazghkull moved up towards my left flank while his large nob biker unit took control of the relic, in my turn lobbas killed some lootas and pinned them down and both my battlewagons advanced and dropped both Ghaz and nobs and 15 man ork squad onto the bikers to prevent their escaping with the relic. With the boyz holding up the fists in the bike squad Ghaz and his nobz engaged the rest, winning combat and sending half the bikes fleeing, dropping the relic. 
      Turn 2 Dennis Ghaz and ard boys pushed right up to my vulnerable firebase in preparation for a devastating multi assault for turn 3. Luckily I had held back my khorne lord and spawn to guard them, the spawn assaulted and destroyed the wagon and tied up ghaz unit. Ultimately Dennis Ghaz broke free and moved towards the middle of the board where fate conspired to bring two Ghazghkulls fighting on top of the relic in single combat! Unfortunately my phone died and I was unable to capture such a historic moment, my Ghaz, already hurt fell to Dennis's. the only way I was getting that relic was to push Ghaz off. The khorne lord was only to happy to oblige! The game ended up with me holding the relic and my deffcoptas outflanking in with my bike warboss to clear Dennis backlines of scoring troops.

End score 33/33 pts

Game 3

Primary: scouring
Secondary: big guns
Total 6 objectives

Game 3 saw a jump up to table 5 paired off with previous years adepticon winner brad Chester, Brads was a nice guy but a TERRIBLE matchup in this mission. Having practiced this deployment against my brother against just such an army I knew I was in trouble.  With a hammer and anvil deployment and brad sporting 3x5 eldar jetbikes, swooping hawks and 2x8 warpspiders, I knew the likelihood of catching or stopping all these fast scoring units was very low. As brad won the roll to make me go first, knowing I wouldn't be able to cover the distance and contest his deep objectives I settled in defensively to wrap my own objectives as best as possible and attempt to score a point off one of his fast or heavy choices to break the standoff. This strategy would go on to not work. At all. Brad played a perfect game and left no holes to exploit, the warp spider wreaked havoc on my scoring troops of bubble wrap tissue paper and made stopping the 50" moving jetbikes an impossibility to stop come last turn rush to contest my zone. Fun game but my army just lacked the speed necessary against a bike army in that type of deployment.

End score 0/33 pts

Tune in tommorow for a recap of the last 3 games and some thoughts on the shape of the meta and listbuilding thoughts going into the Pittsburg iron legion tourny coming up dec 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment